#4: There is no “cookie-cutter” depression!
There is no ONE reason for being depressed or for having a mental illness. Some folks may ask, “Why am I depressed?” and honestly have no idea why. I have all I need, I have a loving family, I don’t drink or do drugs…why do I feel this way? There is no ONE reason for this.
Depression and other mental illnesses may have many causes at the root. If you are not feeling quite yourself and your symptoms are lasting longer than usual (typically more than 2 weeks), visit your doctor, get help!
- Depression may be triggered by life events- loss of a loved one, loss of a job; while getting a divorce, being completely overwhelmed, etc. Some symptoms may be short-term, but others may last for much longer. If they do, seek help.
- Remember, mental illnesses are physiological; brain disorders. Some folks are genetically predisposed; Like some folks are more susceptible to diabetes or high blood pressure.
Other Physiological issues:
- Menopause; post-partum;
- There is a link between depression and those who have who have celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity.
- Also, between celiac disease and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), anxiety and schizophrenia.
- Having Thyroid disease can also affect your mood significantly.
Reblogged this on mmy mental health.
Thank you for these post. The stigma will lift, one post at a time.
Thank you! Say it forward!
Thank you. All of us together can make a difference. To lifting the stigma!